Accountability & Transparency

We take our registered charity status seriously. We meet the Charities Regulator Governance Complaince requirements and submit evidence of such to the Charity Regulator each year.
Our Board of Advisors meet three times per year to review financial statements, policies and our team reports.
Our Board of Trustees meet twice annually to review the minutes of the Board Meetings, review the accounts and make decisions which shape our programmes.

Our finances are externally audited every year. Our grants over €30,000 to overseas partners are also externally audited in that country. This means we can have up to 7 external audits a year for our funds at home in Ireland and overseas!
Our finances are reconciled monthly and presented to the Board of Advisors. All donations restricted for a specific project/appeal are allocated to that specific project/appeal.
7% of donations from the general public are allocated to generating further income – through appeals, updates and communications, newsletters and engaging with schools in Ireland. We’ve no other hidden costs, ensuring the remaining 93% of your donation goes straight to the project.

We submit our Financial Statements each year to the Charities Regulator, and we even comply with SORP – the new standard for presenting records in a transparent way, so you can see exactly where the funds are going.

Our Director, John Guiney SJ, is a Jesuit and receives no salary from the IJI, which allows as much of your donation as possible to go directly overseas.


We are committed to ensuring that we operate at the highest possible standards. We listen and respond to your views and concerns so that we can continue to improve. As a charity receiving donations from the public, we take every measure to ensure best practice and comply with the Charities Regulator’s “Guidelines for Charitable Organisations Fundraising from the Public”.

We welcome both positive and constructive feedback. This can be done by using our Contact Us form or:
By phone: +353 1 8366509
By email: [email protected]
By Post: 20 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1
In person: Our opening hours are Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm

We welcome both positive and constructive feedback. We avoid responding to complaints on social media and encouarge responses through the correct channels where complaints can be responded to in the detail it deserves. We will try to learn from any mistakes we have made. Where there is a need for change, we will develop an action plan setting out what we will do, when and by who. We will let you know when changes we have promised are made and implemented.

Stage 1: What happens next?
If you complain in person or over the telephone, we will try to resolve the issue there and then, where possible. If you complain by email or in writing, we will always acknowledge your complaint within 7 days and do everything we can to resolve it within 21 days. If this is not possible, we will explain why and provide a new deadline.

Stage 2: What if the complaint is not resolved?
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may contact our Director [email protected] in writing who will acknowledge your complaint within 7 days. Our Director will ensure that your appeal is considered at management level and will respond in writing within 21 working days.

Stage 3: What if the complaint is still not resolved?
If you are not satisfied with the management response, you can contact our Board of Advisor in writing who will ensure your appeal is considered and initially responded to within 14 days. The email address for the Chair is available from [email protected]

If you need assistance in making a complaint, any of our staff will aim to help you make your complaint known to us.

For matters of suspected illegality please address these immediately to An Garda Siochána.

If appropriate you may make a complaint under our Protected Disclosure (Whistle-blowing) Policy. Our Director is typically the first point of contact for such disclosures, but it will depend on the seriousness of the disclosure and who you think is involved in it.

For employees, our Irish Province Grievance Policy outlines the avenue to raise a complaint.

We operate within 21 Policies signed off by our Board of Advisors which formalise the parameters within which we work ensuring we adhere to best practice within the charity sector at all times.